Assembled below are a handful of links that came up in my newsfeed throughout the day which I think are worth reflecting on. Many of them force readers to ask tough questions about 9/11; the sort of questions that usually get tossed aside when this anniversary passes by every year.
Other of these links remind us of the surplus of good will that we could have had if we were willing to exercise restraint, and respond to the attacks with a velvet glove rather than a mailed fist. We did not just lose roughly 3,000 people in the towers on 9/11. We lost an opportunity to turn a tragedy into a foundation for a new era of peaceful cooperation with our allies, and outreach to sympathetic Muslim nations. Instead, we went to war.
For my own part, I am hardly a 9/11 truther: I view the events of 9/11/01 as a logical consequence of two inter-related factors: (1) America’s expansionary foreign policy, and (2) the incompetency of those who were running our national security apparatus in the months running up to the attacks. Mind you that Bush Jr. and his cohorts hardly deserve all the blame. America’s been pissing off the Muslim world for a long time under both Democratic and Republican administrations. Bush Jr. and Cheney just happened to be phenomenally good at it.
We Are All Americans (written by a French Dignitary immediately after the attacks)
- jade-stone likes this
- dancingdingledodies reblogged this from letterstomycountry
- rienfleche likes this
- iufy likes this
- ca-thar-si-s likes this
- apoplecticskeptic likes this
- amoderninfinity reblogged this from letterstomycountry
- anatheistbiblestudy likes this
- pilarasaurus likes this
- cheerylatte reblogged this from tealrallythong
- nikitaetmode likes this
- seltaire likes this
- bymyselfdanceparty likes this
- ginobambino likes this
- excitablehonky reblogged this from letterstomycountry
- poetic-affair reblogged this from letterstomycountry
- laliberty said: Should change “in the months running up to the attacks” to “in the years.” Aside from of course the blowback aspect, much of the planning and warnings came during Clinton’s watch.
- excitablehonky likes this
- little-momo-27 reblogged this from letterstomycountry
- vanfullersublime likes this
- alsson reblogged this from letterstomycountry and added:
- nationofone likes this
- hannnahdavid likes this
- primetime93 likes this
- zaman-al-samt likes this
- tealrallythong reblogged this from letterstomycountry
- la-prospettiva-di-me likes this
- letterstomycountry posted this